Monday, February 15, 2010

Double Holidays!

I don't know if I EVER recall a year when we have had Valentine's Day and President's Day back to back. I know, I know ... it probably HAS happend ... and maybe even more than once ... but I certainly don't remember it! (and I am SURE I am gonna get e-mails about it, too!).

So.....these cards are kinda holiday "backwards" ... since I made this one for President's Day LAST Friday, while I made the following card YESTERDAY for Valentine's Day!

This card was sooo fun to make. I used it as a sample for the LSC (Limited Supply Challenge) that I hostessed on Friday (LSC259). The supplies weren't really limited, but the IDEA was ... I limited everyone to be "Inspired by the Presidents." They had to make something and tell us how they connected to any one of the US presidents. Kinda like "The Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" - have you ever heard of that game? Basically, you take anyone in Hollywood (past or present) and give your opponent the opportunity to link them to the actor Kevin Bacon - in seven steps or less. Get it?

I linked this card to our current president, Barack Obama. He lives in the White House. The White House is on the Mall in Washington, DC. Every March/April they have the most WONDERFUL display of cherry blossoms on the Mall. Hence, my cherry blossom card. See??? Now that wasn't so hard! There were sooo many terrific cards, and people came up with some fascinating presidential factoids!!

Stamps: Well Scripted
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black, Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink, Melon Mambo, Old Olive
Ink: Melon Mambo, Basic Black
Accessories: Cuttlebug Forest Branches and Swiss Dots embossing folders, Cricut Pagoda cartridge, Beautiful Wings embosslits die, scallop trim border and corner punches, wide oval punches, small black brads, black polka dot organza ribbon

Which brings me to this card. This is the card I made for my husband yesterday morning (EARLY) for Valentine's Day. A Valentine's card with an AIRPLANE on it??? What the????? Actually, my husband has been building an airplane for close to TEN years now (yes, seriously!! A REAL honest-to-goodness-fly-in-it-and-go-somewhere airplane!). He was FINALLY able to start up the engine last week and drive it to the end of the runway and back, just to make sure the engine and everything were hooked up properly and worked! (Ya can't make it airborne 'til it passes about a BILLION inspections! Which is GOOD, right?)

We can hardly believe it is done (except for some vinyl we are having custom-cut for the outside ... easier and quicker than a fancy-dancy paint job). Incredible! Hence, the sentiment "The Best is Yet to Be" has a great double meaning as we are just a few weeks away from our 25th wedding anniversary, too!

Stamps: Love Matters (retired SU)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Night of Navy, Ruby Red, So Saffron, Very Vanlla
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Cricut Heritage Cartridge, Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder, word window punch, small heart punch, brown/vanilla gingham ribbon

I can hardly WAIT to do two things: (1) LEARN how to fly this baby MYSELF, and (2) actually GO somewhere TROPICAL in it!!

Smiley from millan.net Happy President's Day, all! Hope ya have some SERIOUS stampin' time!!

4 comments:

Terry Molineux said...

Wendy I love both cards but the first one is my favorite....love the colors.

Wow what an airplane...you seriously are going to fly it??? You are brave!!!! What a great job he did. Did he name HER????

Judy McMullen said...

Wow! Great cards as usual, Wendy! Love the story about your DH's airplane. That is fantastic and I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

Corie said...

WOW both of these are FANTASTIC

Pam said...

Top card took my breath away...it is ......well, I just can't think of a word to justify it's beauty!! You really outdid yourself. Can't wait to make one up...I already have all that's necessary to make it!!! My friends will think I'm so clever!!
(Won't tell them the truth unless they ask....is that still lying?)
Pam from Price, UT