Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Cards, Elves and COOKIES!

From Millan.NetAs I am busily rushing around TRYING to do all of my last-minute Christmas-y things, I knew I was going to need to stop to wish you all there merriest of holidays! I appreciate all of the kind words, support, encouragement and inspiration that I get from you throughout the year ... you guys are the BEST!!

And without FURTHER adieu ... here is our family Christmas card this year. With that extra week "missing" in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I felt like I was running down to the wire in getting these done (ok ... I guess I actually WAS!)!! I have had a little gift card for the past several years that I have had tacked to my bulletin board ... it had a little pair of skates on it, and I have been THINKING about doing this idea for the past few Christmases. FINALLY got around to it!!

The skates and large snowflake are cut from images on the Cricut Winter Woodland cartridge. Lots of pieces, but I stinkin' LOVE 'em!!

I got the "Winter Wonderland" sheet music just by doing an internet search. This image was actually a little too "short", so I had to copy and paste and extra couple of lines at the bottom to make it the right size!

Stamps:  Gorgeous Grunge (Yes, I HAD to sneak that one in there!)
Paper:  Early Espresso, Pool Party, Crumb Cake, Naturals Ivory, Very Vanilla, Silver Glimmer
Ink:  Early Espresso (to sponge edges of skates)
Accessories:  Cricut Winter Woodland Cartridge, Martha Stewart Snowflake Punch, Burlap Ribbon, Early Espresso Taffeta Ribbon, Rhinestone Basics, Script Texture Embossing Folder (Cuttlebug)



Here is the inside of the card, done entire in MDS. I discovered this year that Costco will actually print 5"x5" photos!! That made my job MUCH easier!! I didn't have to print and cut all of them myself! YAY!!!

MDS: More Amore (Long Label); Let It Snow; Jolly Jingles (snowflakes); More Amore (DSP); Font - Cuckoo

From Millan.NetMoving on ... every year on the Sunday before Christmas we have what we refer to as "Keebler Elf Sunday" at my house (many of you may recall that I have mentioned that here the past few years). Since we have been in the neighborhood for SO long, our "neighbor gift list" is kinda long ... so we end up baking, bagging and tagging about 1,000 cookies!! Sheesh!!! But, my kids will admit, that they kinda like Keebler Elf Sunday. It's a LOT of work, but it's a good time! LOTS of laughing, watching Christmas movies ... now that the kids are older and spend a lot of their time away at school I think that they appreciate this even more. Makes a mama happy ...

Accessories:  Cricut Very Merry Tags (made with Brilliant Blue and Whisper White cardstock), glittery snowflake ornament (purchased at Target), cello snowflake bag, Whisper White Baker's Twine

The tag on this year's bag of cookies was made using my Cricut and the Very Merry Tags cartridge. And YES ... that card stock IS Brilliant Blue (I seem to be a hoarder and can never get rid of ANYthing!)!! Was glad I had it, though, as it went perfectly with the snowflakes I bought on clearance at Target after Christmas a couple of years ago!!

And for those who are wondering, I AM going to share my "Lucky Penny" recipe with y'all once again this year. I promise if you try them that they will become a family FAVORITE ... and you will be FAMOUS amongst family and friends with whom you share them!!

Lucky Pennies

2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C. (1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened)
1 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 C. molasses
1 large egg
granulated sugar (for coating cookies)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a separate large bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the molasses and egg and mix until well blended. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until combined. Cover the dough and refrigerate it for at least 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a teaspoon to scoop the dough from the bowl and roll the cookies into about 1"-in-diameter balls. Roll the balls in a shallow bowl of granulated sugar. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until the cookies are crinkled and set.

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the dough is used. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month and at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Makes about 8 dozen cookies.

From Millan.Net
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!!
 photo blogFALL2013signature_zps52ff99ee.png

5 comments:

brrenwick said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Your card is beautiful! You are an amazing friend and I am so blessed to have met you this year :)

xrciznuts said...

I love your stories! And your projects! I pinned your card so I can make this one next year. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Love
Kim Smith

Tanya said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous! I love the music and ice skates! And the recipe sounds tasty! Merry Christmas to you!

ElisaBell said...

What a beautiful card! And thanks for sharing your recipe. I can't wait to try it. Love ya, dear friend!

vdoyle8 said...

I love your little tags -- I miss brilliant blue!!!
Your card is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing your talent and ideas. Merry Christmas and a Happy 2014