Friday, July 25, 2008

Birthday Challenge

I was the LSC hostess on Splitcoast today. The challenge was to do a birthday-themed card using only paper, stamps and an ink pad . . . no markers, pencils, pens, or crayons, etc., allowed. For line art images, I had encouraged the challengees to do paper piecing. It was really fun. I also said that they could use ribbon as the only embellishment and limit their use of punches!

With that said, this first card I did with Big Bold Birthday and some Bella Rose dsp. I LOVE that stuff! It's really making me like the new In Colors. I sooooo wanted to add some Stickles to the hearts on top of the cupcake, and/or glitter the cupcake top. But since this is a limited supply challenge, I had to restrain myself!!

Stamps: Big Bold Birthday, Crosshatch
Paper: Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Bella Rose dsp
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa, Pink Pirouette, Riding Hood Red
Accessories: Chocolate Polka Dot Satin Ribbon (Papertrey), 1" circle punch, word window punch, dimensionals

This second sample I did with a line art image. I had a lot of fun paper piecing this little turtle (the toenails just crack me up!!). I used more of the Bella Rose dsp, too. I like how Kiwi Kiss and Old Olive are the same color, but different shades. It's nice to use them together to create a little dimension.

Stamps: Older and Wiser, Sweet Stars
Paper: Kiwi Kiss, Old Olive, Tangerine Tango, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, Bella Rose dsp
Ink: Basic Black, Whisper White, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Pumpkin Pie striped grosgrain ribbon, large and small oval punches

Once again, I had my darling daughter, Amelia, help me with a sample for this challenge. She and I both totally love this little puppy from Ruff Day. SU hasn't had a decent doggie set in years. I really hope there is one in the new catty (I'll find out at Convention next week!). She finished this card before I had finished either of mine. She knew what she wanted to do and just got 'er done!!

Stamps: Ruff Day, Polka Dot bg, Send a Celebration (Papertrey)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, Summer Sun, Night of Navy, Whisper White
Ink: Summer Sun, Real Red, Brilliant Blue, Espresso Adirondack by Ranger
Accessories: Red Double Stitched ribbon by Offray

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy -- Love the samples!! Quick question -- what is dsp?? Thanks in advance!!

Wendy Weixler said...

That would be designer series paper . . . :)