Friday, February 22, 2013

Choose the Right ...

From Millan.NetLast week, my adorable little cousin, Emma, turned 8 years old. I actually remember turning 8 years old myself (which was a reaaalllly long time ago!)!! I remember the little white, lacy dress I had with the navy blue grosgrain ribbon tie that went around my (then-non-existent) hips. I wore that dress on the day I was baptized.

For children raised in the LDS faith, turning 8 is a big-mega-deal!! That is the year you can choose to be baptized. And the little shield on this card is an icon that helps us remember to choose the right in all that we do (hence, the acronym CTR). Back in the day (when I was a young girl of 8), children were given little silver rings with a green CTR shield logo at church upon turning 8. In recent years, CTR rings have kinda become a fashion statement (coming is all sizes, shapes, colors and designs!), if you will. I have seen so many different incarnations (MUCH better than the little adjustable, wrap-around dealio I got when I was little that not only had a green shield, but also turned my finger green! Which I still have, btw, but I digress ...)

Of course, adding flowers, ribbon and blingy rhinestones to the CTR logo also goes a long way in winning the smile from an 8-year-old (I was TACKLED with hugs when I gave Emma this card). What better response to giving a hand-made card is there than getting crushed by hugs from a 8-year-old??? Can't thing of one single response I have EVER had that made me happier!!

Truth be told, I actually still wear a ring with the CTR shield on it ... every day. Reminds me to try to be my best in all that I do (and it was pointed out to me that I WAS wearing it by the same 8-year-old!!)! Certainly put a happy on MY day!!

The other day when I answered the phone at work, the person on the other end asked the ever-common question "How are you?," to which I gave the ever-common reply, "Great! How are you?" His response? "Happy!" That was my FAVORITE!! Think I'm gonna use that one whenever anyone asks "How are you?" Made my day!!

Have a gloriously-fabulous weekend, everyone!

Stamps: Raining Flowers, Bloomin' Marvelous (SAB)
Paper: Tempting Turquoise, Melon Mambo, Old Olive, Whisper White
Ink: Tempting Turquoise, Melon Mambo
Accessories: Cricut, (CTR logo was an SVG file I found online), Melon Mambo Taffeta Ribbon, Oval Punch, Little Leaves Sizzlets Die, Chevron Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, Rhinestone Basics
Photobucket

8 comments:

stampinjul said...

Wendy, this is such a cute card (and a touching story)! I should make something like this for my Primary kids when they get baptized (I'm the prez!) I already make them a little photo book to put their fun baptism day memories in, but this would be a nice card from the presidency!

brrenwick said...

What a special card with a very uplifting story to go with it! Thank you for sharing :)

Tanya said...

This is so cool! I love that CTR! Your cousin sounds a lot like my daughter who is getting baptized this year! :) TFS!

Mitzi Luttrull said...

Very cute card! Happy bday to your cousin, too. I loved your story. What a great memory to share with your cousin.

MarvA1ix said...

What a really lovely card, but an even better story. My 8 year old granddaughter, along with her baby brother, are having their dedication next Sunday. I think I want to make her a really special card for her special day, too. Thanks for your great story, and idea, too.

Anonymous said...

Terrific card but great reminder,
Be Happy! So many are really hurting these days, good to hear someone say their Happy.
Thanks for sharing.
Seletta

Carol Carriveau said...

Beautiful, pretty and bright card for an 8 year old with such a special year ahead of her!

StampingBetty said...

just lovely!