Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Ringin' in the New Year!

Welcome to 2019!! It's a beautiful, bright, clear and VERY cold New Year's Day here in Salt Lake City. We enjoyed having some family/friends over to ring in 2019 last night ... ate a LOT ... played games ... and went to bed at about 1:30am! I've been sitting around in my fuzzy slippers with some leggings and a big warm sweater. I plan to spend the day watching dumb movies and stamping ... and eating some more, of course (aren't leftovers GREAT??!?)!

THIS is the Christmas card I almost started making two years ago. I was just finishing a super-clean in my craft room and had all my cardstock/stamps laid out on my table ... only to discover that I had stepped into a very wet spot on the carpet! Upon further examination, a FLOOD ensued ... and my craft room/basement was turned into a war zone!!!

2017 was also very busy ... what with plumbing and sheet rocking and painting that had to be done to clean up the mess AND my daughter's wedding on top of all that, my craft room didn't get back to a more "normal" until Super Bowl Weekend 2018!!! Holy COW!!! That was a HUGE mess ... and a LONG time with no workable craft space. So happy that this year I was able to get my cards done (FINALLY!) ... even though they didn't get in the mail until December 23!!! I'm feeling VERY accomplished!! That's a good way to start the year, isn't it??

So ... this Detailed Santa Thinlits Die is SOOOO cute. And SOOOO retired ... that's what happens when everything gets buried underneath mounds of rubble!!! Since I already had all the cardstock and such to make this, I decided it was still good enough to use!! I added a silver "Ho Ho Ho" sentiment using my trusty Cricut.

Stamps: NONE
Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black, Real Red, Silver Foil, Red Glimmer, Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer
Ink: Poppy Parade (sponge dauber-ed onto Santa's cheeks)
Accessories: Detailed Santa Thinlits Die, Layering Squares Framelits Dies, 5/8" Striped Burlap Trim, Silver Glitter Glue






The inside I created with NEW family photos and My Memories Suite (the upgrade version of Stampin' Up's retired My Digital Studio). We had SOOO many pix that turned out SOOOO good. It was hard to pick a FAVORITE, so I just used one of the many that I liked a lot!

And here is a pic of this year's "neighbor gift". On what we call "Keebler Elf Sunday" at my house, we all get together and make over 1,000 of these yummy ginger cookies. I am responsible for bagging/tagging them to give away to our friends. We try to split up delivery duties so that it won't take TOO much of forever! I also used my Cricut to make the little tags on these.

As I have done the last several years, here is the recipe I use to make these cookies. Once you've had them, they will become a family favorite!

Lucky Pennies

2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C. (1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened)
1 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 C. molasses
1 large egg
granulated sugar (for coating cookies)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a separate large bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the molasses and egg and mix until well blended. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until combined. Cover the dough and refrigerate it for at least 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a spoon to scoop the dough out of the bowl, then roll it with your fingertips into balls that are about one-inch in diameter (I think we actually go up to 1.5" diameter). Roll the balls in a shallow bowl of granulated sugar. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until the cookies are crinkled and set.

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the dough is used. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month and at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Special note: This is a recipe that does NOT double/triple very well. If you want to make LOTS of them, you should make a separate batch of dough each time.

I may actually take a NAP today!! Gonna be a good year!!

 photo blogsignature2018_zpsxetiovv3.png

No comments: