Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Viewer Participation Required!!

First of all, today’s post is going to require some audience participation!! I’m taking an informal poll . . . do you guys prefer to read blogs that post daily (or more frequently), or those, like mine, that only post once a week or so (although I have been posting more than that the last couple of weeks)?? Would it be better if I loaded each project as I did it, or do you like having a bunch lumped together? Just curious!! Please leave a comment on this post and let me know!!

I’m doing my best and trying to think spring-like thoughts (it snowed again here last weekend!). I have a few more cards to share with you. The first two are ones that I submitted for Papertrey Ink’s monthly Guest Star Stamper contest (I didn’t get chosen - insert sad face here!).

I love this set – Women of Life. I made this card for my mother for Mother’s Day. It describes her to a "T" . . . Grandmother, Mother, Aunt, Sister, but most importantly, friend!

Here are some basic instructions:

Base layer (Pumpkin Pie): 5 3/8" x 4 1/4"
Bottom folded card layer (Elegant Eggplant w/Shimmery White panel): 9 3/8" x 4", scored at 2 1/8" and 4 1/4"
Top folded card layer (Garden Green): 8 3/4" x 3 1/4"; score at 4" (the larger "half" is taped to the dsp layer).
Shimmery White (Women of Life image) layer: 3" x 3 3/4"

Fold the Elegant Eggplant cs on score lines. Tape the outer 2 1/8" flap toward inside. Make a panel and stamp images to place on flap (dimensions 1 7/8" x 3 3/4"). Tape ribbon under this layer on left-hand side. Don't forget to use a slot punch to punch a hole for the ribbon to go through on the top layer!!

Stamps: Women of Life (Papertrey)
Cardstock: Pumpkin Pie, Elegant Eggplant, Garden Green, Shimmery White
Ink: Elegant Eggplant, Pumpkin Pie, Garden Green, Whisper White craft
Accessories: Doodlebug jewels, horizontal slot punch, purple and orange gingham ribbon, small oval punch, dimensionals

This card was made using Papertrey’s “Everyday Blessings” set. I used the cross stamp from "Everyday Blessings" to create a patterned background paper of sorts. I then put a layer of acetate on top of this image. It is kind of hard to see in the picture, but it reminds me of a stained glass window.

Guess I'll have to try again next month!!

Stamps: Everyday Blessings and Beautiful Blooms (both from Papertrey)
Cardstock: Rose Red, Old Olive, Soft Sky, Shimmery White
Ink: Old Olive, Rose Red, Soft Sky
Accessories, Soft Sky double-stitched ribbon, pearl sticker embellishments, acetate, dimensionals, tag die (Spellbinders – Tags 5), paper piercing tool, Crop-o-dile

This was created for TLC160 – a reverse Cuttlebugging technique. If you ink up the inside of your Cuttlebug folder (the negative side – the one that says “Cuttlebug” on it), then place your paper inside and emboss, it gives it a whole new look. I took it one step further. I was having a little bit of an issue with ink sticking in the “positive” space, so I tried to wipe it off. I didn’t do very well, and ended up wiping down the entire piece of cardstock (I used a baby wipe). I really like the effect, so I kept it! Since I used glossy white cardstock, the baby wipe worked really well.

Stamps: Wanted, Just Jeans (bg)
Cardstock: Night of Navy, Glossy White Chocolate Chip, Close to Cocoa, Bordering Blue
Ink: Real Red (craft), Night of Navy, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Build a Brad, scallop circle punch, 1 3/8”, ½” circle punches, jumbo eyelet, red gingham ribbon, navy organza ribbon, Cuttlebug Paisley embossing folder

I have recently discovered the “Weekend Sketch Challenge” that Beate Johns posts on her blog . . . http://beate.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/ . . . she has always been such an amazing inspiration and I appreciate the chance to play with some of her ideas. This card was for WSC39. I really liked this layout, although the card didn’t turn out quite how I envisioned it. It was fun to make, though, and I used my beloved “Crosshatch” background stamp, which is one of my all-time faves . . . hated to see SU retire it!!

Stamps: Garden Silhouettes, Print Pattern (bg), Crosshatch (bg), Lots of Thoughts
Cardstock: Always Artichoke, Rose Red, Regal Rose, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White
Ink: Rose Red, Regal Rose, Always Artichoke, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Nestabilities (rectangle), photo corner punch, artichoke single-stitched ribbon, square rhinestone brad, Stickles (on the flowers), paper piercing tool

Don’t forget to let me know how you feel about the frequency of blog posts!! Have a terrific day!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

do 'em daily! it gives me an excuse to keep coming back. It's fun to know what is catching your interest TODAY, not earlier this month.

Anonymous said...

I know that it put more work on you, but I like to see new posts every day.

Unknown said...

Hiya Wendy

I like every day or every other!!! no pressure there then, lol

I would like to feature one of your cards/and your blog on Inspirations (http://inspirationalcraftblogs.blogspot.com/)

What I would do is snag one of your photos off your blog and do a posting with a link to your blog so everybody that doesn't already, can visit

Let me know what you think

Hugs

Alex xx
phil@phil14alex.freeserve.co.uk

Denise Bryant (imchatty) said...

I personally like daily posts...or every other day. I just don't like all the cards posted in one post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy!

Daily is wonderful -- I'm forever checking blogs in the middle of the night when I can't sleep - and I'm disappointed when I can't find "new" posts and ideas. It's not as good as talking live, but reading posts is like having a lovely conversation with a friend, over a cup of hot chocolate (or iced tea in the summer)...

Your cards are delightful and such an inspiration!

Kittie said...

I prefer every day as I have a small brain and can't absorb too many details at once. I tend to just look at the pictures and not read the details when there more than a couple.

Julie Allain said...

Hi I just found you via Inspirational Blog so thanks Alex.

Wendy you are so talented I'm so glad that I've found your blog.... I like blogs that post daily :)

Anonymous said...

Yah I love DAILY - I check almost that often anyway! Keep up the great projects too!

Diane said...

I am going to be the odd ball here....I like having the longer posts with many pictures every couple of days. I get so much email on a daily basis, it is easier for me to enjoy them every couple of days.

diane