Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Because I Knew You ...

Sigh ... my heart is heavy. My dear, sweet, kind, amazing, funny, generous and all-around amazing friend and next-door neighbor died last Wednesday. I have known Bert and his wonderful family for close to 35 years. My husband has enjoyed him as a next-door neighbor for his entire life (as we purchased his childhood home from his parents in 1990). Where do I begin??? Anything I tried to say or write here would not be even close enough to an adequate tribute to a man who has been more than just our neighbor. He has been a second dad to both of us. He has been the fun granddad to our kids. He has been an example of what it means to be Christlike. He was lighthearted, happy ... and FUNNY!! He knew more bad dad jokes than any other human being I have ever met!!! He was the king of water fights ... I can't even begin to say how much I ALREADY miss him shouting over the backyard fence at me ... "Yo, Wendy! This is your neighbor, Bert!" He was truly one of the best people I have ever known. He taught me through example, quiet wisdom and unconditional love. The hole in my heart is SO huge. I am by far not the only one who feels this at his passing. His incredible family are just about as close as a family can be ... and they feel his absence with immeasurable weight. The neighborhood, our church congregation, our community ... none of us will be the same without him ... but we are all better people for having known him.

I spent most of the day last Thursday making this floral wreath as a tribute to our Bert. It hardly seems enough, but I wanted to give his beautiful wife, Violet, some flowers that would last more than a week ... and that would convert some of the love I have in my heart for their entire family. I used some new things and some old things to put this together, and it still doesn't seem enough.

Stamps: None
Paper: Mint Macaron, Soft Sea Foam, Pear Pizzazz, Rich Razzleberry, Smoky Slate, Mango Melody, Daffodil Delight, Mossy Meadow, Pool Party, Highland Heather, Purple Posy, Whisper White, Festive Farmhouse DSP (retired)
Ink: Rich Razzleberry, Flirty Flamingo, Pear Pizzazz, Highland Heather
Accessories: Magnolia Memories Dies, Succulent Dies (retired), Halloween Night Enamel Dots (retired) Leaf Punch, Sprig Punch, Pearl Accents, Linen Thread, 12"x12" shadow box, Cricut and vinyl (for sentiment)

'Til we meet again, my dear friend and Disney buddy, Bert. We all felt so much love and kindness from you. And because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

 photo blogsignature2018_zpsxetiovv3.png

5 comments:

SherryBee in AZ said...

this is amazing, and, what a wonderful lasting tribute to your neighbor! Could you make more of those vinyls to sell? I would love some!
sherry beeson
beeson@frontiernet.net

Denise said...

Wendy and family....so sorry for the loss of your neighbor Bert. What a lovely tribute you made for his wife Violet. Reading your post about what a special guy your Bert is I had tears in my eyes. Wish there were more people in the world like Bert.

Lynn Streifert said...

I am so very sorry to read about the loss of your dear friend. Heaven sure has been busy this year. Violet will treasure this priceless gift. Such a beautiful tribute and gift, made from the heart. I had no idea you could cut vinyl letters that small, you are a genius.
praying for you and all who knew this dear man.

Kathy H said...

Gorgeous work on this. You can see the love in it. Condolences on your loss. I am sure his wife will appreciate this so much.

artgranny said...

This is lovely. I just lost a friend on Saturday and the saying means so much.