Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Keebler Elves!!

That is what my son says he feels like . . . one of the Keebler Elves! We spent the better part of the weekend putting together our neighbor gifts. Well, actually, my daughter and I made TEN batches of cookie dough on Saturday, then on Sunday afternoon my husband, daughter and son baked the cookies (each one has to be rolled into a little ball and then rolled in sugar before it is placed on the cookie sheet). While they were busy with that, I was stamping and cutting and printing out the labels. I usually just print out all the labels on my computer, but after getting this adorable stamp set from JustRite, I knew I was doomed to hours of assembly so that I could make these cute tags!!!

Actually, I also had a bunch of circular labels as well. I bought them for a project about a hundred years ago and never ended up using them, so they worked out perfectly! (You can't see them in the photo, but you can use your imagination . . . they just say "To: ____ From: The Weixler's." ) I really like how cute these turned out! I also love the 4-for-a-dollar glittery snowflake ornaments you can get at Target. I just about cleaned my local store out of the white ones! I made 55 bags of cookies (each bag had 16 in it!). Plus, I had enough for two extra bags, minus the ornament. I know, I know, 4 does NOT go into 55 evenly . . . I kept one of the ornaments for myself!!

I hate pictures of myself (boy, do I look tired . . . WAIT! I was!!), but my daughter took this one of me assembling the bags (I had already filled several bags by the time she took this, so about a row and a half of cookies are already missing!). Just thought you would like to see what nearly 950 cookies look like when they are all stacked together (they are literally stacked three deep). They are small, but oh-sooo-yummy! They have been a family favorite for years. I am sharing the recipe here with you, as I know you are all DYING for another reason to bake, right???

Lucky Pennies

2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C. (1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened)
1 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 C. molasses
1 large egg
granulated sugar (for coating cookies)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a separate large bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the molasses and egg and mix until well blended. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until combined. Cover the dough and refrigerate it for at least 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a teaspoon to scoop the dough from the bowl and roll the cookies into about 1"-in-diameter balls. Roll the balls in a shallow bowl of granulated sugar. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until the cookies are crinkled and set.

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the dough is used. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month and at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Makes about 8 dozen cookies.

Stamps: Christmas Ensemble by JustRite
Paper: Night of Navy, Whisper White
Ink: Silver Encore, Night of Navy
Accessories: (I cheated a little here . . . I did use my Spellbinders S4114 Large Circle Nestabilities to cut out the navy circle, but opted for my Mega Marvy circle punch to do the "Happy Holidays" in the center . . . it was slightly larger the the nestie circle, which is a perfect fit, but it saved me a lot of time, so I chose the lazy way out!), vanilla grosgrain ribbon, 1/4" circle punch, cello snowman bags, Target snowflake ornament

5 comments:

Lynn Mercurio said...

Geeze Louise...I want to move into your neighborhood! What a wonderfully giving thing to do Wendy. You look fabulous even after all that work! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

Wendy I am envious of all the room you have to spread out your cookies..lol. My dd and I have been baking for at least two weeks now non-stop and we are literally running out of places to put the cookies. This is truly our favorite time of year. It is amazing to me how much good conversation can go on between you and your family during these baking marathons. It just would not be Christmas without it.

Thank you for the wonderful recipe I may give it a try after Christmas..lol. Isn't it fun passing out goodies to the neighbors especially those who don't or can't bake for themselves and their families.

Wendy I hope you and your family have a very blessed holiday season and may the new year bring you health and happiness. I miss you and hope to be back in chat some time in the new year. Please give your dd a big hug and kiss from me and I hope Santa is good to you all. Take care and God bless you and yours.

Debbie/Phx AZ
Tawanda Lives

Net said...

Wow! What a cookie spread! I'll try that recipe it sounds delicious. I love to take photos of my baking for my blog too.

Can I be one of your neighbours please?

Anonymous said...

That is AMAZING! My jaw dropped open when I saw all of your cookies. That is so neat what you do for your neighbors. I wish I had neighbors like you. That would be neat! :)

Thanks for the recipe. I want to try those. They sound good.

Etha said...

oh wow that's a LOT of cookies :)