Monday, December 24, 2012

Keebler Elf Sunday

From Millan.NetIt's the most wonderful time of the year ... that song has been going through my head a LOT the past few weeks!! (Whether I am doing something I enjoy, or feeling the frantic-hectic pace that this time of year brings!!) Yesterday we had our yearly Weixler Family Keebler Elf Sunday. We've been doing this for YEARS!!

This year, however, we went from making dough (which Amelia and I did in the morning before church - 10 batches of it!), to having all the neighbor gifts DELIVERED in less than 12 hours!! Sheesh!! It was GREAT having all the kids home and helping, though ... lots of talking and laughing (DESPITE how Amelia looks in this picture, they WERE having a great time! Somehow my kids find it funny to pull DORKY faces - hence, Devan's over-the-top look - can't hardly get them to be "normal" anymore!)!

And here is what they look like all finished!! Since I was making 54 tags, I decided to take the "easy" way out and use my Cricut (you can't see in the photo, but I embossed the white layer with polka dots ... they turned out cute and didn't take long at ALL!)!!

And I tradition I now have on my blog every year is sharing this most DELICIOUS cookie recipe with you!!

Lucky Pennies

2 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C. (1½ sticks unsalted butter, softened)
1 C. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 C. molasses
1 large egg
granulated sugar (for coating cookies)

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a separate large bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the molasses and egg and mix until well blended. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until combined. Cover the dough and refrigerate it for at least 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to roll into balls.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Use a teaspoon to scoop the dough from the bowl and roll the cookies into about 1"-in-diameter balls. Roll the balls in a shallow bowl of granulated sugar. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until the cookies are crinkled and set.

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all the dough is used. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month and at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Makes about 8 dozen cookies.

From Millan.NetWishing you all the MERRIEST of HOLIDAYS ...

Paper: Gumball Green, Whisper White
Accessories: Cricut Very Merry Tags Cartridge, Perfect Polka Dots Textured Impressions Embossing Folder, Real Red Grosgrain Ribbon
Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these cookies! My grandma made them every year when I was growing up, along with a buch of other kinds and these were always my favorite. We know them as Ginger Krinkle Crisps. Did you know you can also make them as drop cookies? Instead of refrigeratorating them & rolling them in sugar-cinnamon, you drop them & after baking roll them in powdered sugar. They are flatter and are a nice variation and are called Sugar and Spice Cookies. :-)
Merry Christmas!
Terri Brown

Kimie said...

Oh yummy! Cannot wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it and the pictures of your family. That expression on Devan's face is priceless. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!!

Carol Carriveau said...

I just printed this out...they look so yummy...nice New Year gift to friends....thank you for sharing it...!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Wendy for sharing the recipe. I made them yesterday. Cutest little things you ever saw and My DH said "these are yummy". You suggested using a child tea set spoon to make them the 1/2" ball. Just a funny note, I used the little pink spoon that comes in the box with the big pkg of Sweet n Low. Of couse, I have about 100 of them because I am always going to find just the perfect use for them. NOW I will make the cookies, give them and the recipe to my friends and a little pink spoon!!